WHO has reported a total of over four million deaths due to Covid-19. Unfortunately, their data does not include those who suffer from cabin fever. The pandemic has caused so much suffering – both physical pain and mental anguish.
You may not be a psychiatrist. But it does not take much to realize that the state of affairs is depressing. The deaths, the economic downturn, and the political chaos can increase our anxieties. Why not switch that nightly news off?
It may take a lot of effort. But you can fight your cabin fever. If you do not know where to start, you should pay close attention to this article. Here are a few tips on how to help fight your anxieties:
Over the centuries, millions have practiced yoga. It has been medically proven to provide emotional relief and strengthens your body. As you take a deep breath before you switch to the next pose, your mind relaxes. Thus, it calms you down.
The calming effect of yoga is one of the reasons why it was incorporated in many alcohol rehab programs. It also helps the body cope with the withdrawal symptoms.
Some have the notion that yoga is difficult. But such a belief is wrong. Here are a few easy yoga poses:
- Mountain Pose – This yoga pose is technically just standing. When you do this position, you are trying to calm your mind.
- Forward Fold – As we have said earlier, you have to take a deep breath before moving to the next pose. As you inhale, you lift your arms to your sides and over to your head. When you exhale, you will release your arms. Please note that if you feel any pain, you should stop immediately to avoid any injuries.
- Plank Pose – This yoga position strengthens the muscles of your front body.
- Downward-Facing Dog – This yoga pose can help your digestive tract and calms the nervous system.
If you have kids, you can even ask them to join you. Introducing them to yoga at an early age will help them establish a healthy lifestyle. It can also help them focus.
Social media played a vital role during the pandemic. It kept us connected with our loved ones. But it causes severe anxiety.
To lessen the negative effect of social media, we have to take offscreen breaks. In yoga, we are taught to be aware of our present reality. When we switch off our social media accounts and focus on the moment, we become calmer.
Why don’t you put your phone down and talk with your loved ones? With the travel restrictions being lifted, we get to spend more time with our family and friends. Grab this opportunity to talk with them face-to-face.
Another offline activity that we should try is playing board games. You can use this time to interact with your kids. Here are a few board games that you should introduce to your kids:
- Scrabble – This game will boost your kids’ vocabulary.
- Monopoly – It is a good way to teach your children about finance and money matters.
- Chess – If your kids have not encountered the online version of chess, you need to introduce them to the offline version. Chess is a good game to boost analytical thinking.
You have to find a fun offline distraction. It will help you forget about your social media accounts and focus on the people around you.
Embracing Our Fears
One of the reasons why we fear Covid-19 is that we do not know when it will end. A lot of things are out of our control. Instead of fussing about these things, why don’t you embrace them?
By accepting the fact that we cannot control the situation, we become calmer. Once we let it go, we can move on with our lives. But there are times that we find it hard to let go of our anxieties.
If you find yourself in that position, why don’t you try writing in a journal? Jotting down your fears can help you find release. When you do this, you should not only focus on the negative aspects. You must include your dreams and your hopes.
You can also reach out to a friend. Doing this eases the burden that we carry. They might also feel the same way. Thus, you end up being each other’s support.
The pandemic has taken a lot from us. We have not only lost loved ones. But others have lost their jobs. Our mental health has also suffered because of the pandemic.
We can take control of the situation by taking these positive steps. They will prevent cabin fever. It will also give us a positive view of things.